Masseria Fortificata Pavoni rises up on a little hill in the beautiful and unspoiled region of the “Tavoliere delle Puglie”, a plain in northern Puglia that covers a surface of c. 3,000 km², once constituting a sea bottom. It is bounded by the Daunian Pre-Apennines on the West, the Gargano Promontory and the Adriatic Sea on the East, by the Fortore river on the north, and the Ofanto river on the south.
A masseria is a fortified farm house or country house on a country estate typical of the region of Puglia. Masseria lodging ranges from rustic to luxurious, mostly set in working farms producing olive oil, wine, or produce, The masseria is typically fortified, originally against attacks by Turks or pirates, and dates from the 16th to 19th centuries.
The Pavoni’s property history goes far back to 1743 – making it one of the most ancient in the area – when the Masseria and the land used to be owned by the Church of Cerignola. Uncertain is the date of when it became property of the Pavoncelli’s noble family. Rumors say that one of the owners were also the Moro’s, the family of one of Italy’s longest-serving post-war Prime Ministers. The actual owners the Mercaldi-Simeone’s family, having a high respect and admiration for the history of the Masseria, then bought the property and the land with the goal in mind to make it a great name in the World for the high quality and standards of the products of this beautiful and historical land.